Sunday, March 15, 2009

Community

"If we walk in the light as He is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus Christ His Son cleanses us from all sin." (I John 1:7)  I have found myself so encouraged and so blessed these last 3 days by the community that exists on this ship.  Friday, Saturday, and today were days full of fellowship with my brothers and sisters onboard and it has been so refreshing.  God has blessed me richly in such a short time with people that I can really talk to and who can tell when I'm having a bad day and will drop everything to listen or will pray for me at that moment no matter where we are or what we're doing.  I've been so encouraged and challenged by others opening up to me and those around them in a real, honest, and transparent way and how others come around them in support, without an attitude of condemnation or disapproval, but rather one of love and acceptance and forgiveness....all qualities of God that in some ways I feel like I'm starting to really understand for the first time.  Coming here as a missionary, you feel like you're going to have awesome times and you're gonna be strong and just shine your light for Jesus (which does happen) but you are also confronted with yourself.  You realize (or are rather reminded) that you don't have it all together and neither does anybody else on this ship.  Everyone has weaknesses, and everyone has those things they struggle with, and everyone is stuck in a world where sin has a hold on all of us.  But, while we all battle against Satan and against our sinful nature we can have confidence because Jesus has already won the battle for us and His grace that was given through the blood that He shed is sufficient to cover all our filth and has made us clean.  We have victory!  In the end we are still His and there is nothing that can snatch us out of His hand and take away our salvation.  Praise the Lord for a happy ending!  But until that day when He defeats evil once and for all and locks it up for eternity we have a war to fight and it is one that we can not fight alone!  We need each other and I am so grateful for the body that He has made me a part of in this time and place.

2 comments:

  1. Well said. It's much easier to put on the strong front to look capable of doing what we want or feel called to do. In reality we are all weak. Our only strength comes from the Holy Spirit dwelling within us.

    ReplyDelete